• Tue., Oct. 21, 2014 5:00 PM - 8:00 PM EDT Live Moms Clinic

The Jacksonville Jaguars, in partnership with USA Heads Up Football, are hosting a moms football safety clinic at EverBank Field.

The free clinic will include education on proper equipment fitting; concussion awareness; heat and hydration; and USA Football’s Heads Up Football program.

As part of the event, moms in attendance will practice Heads Up Tackling and other football-related drills on the Florida Blue Health and Wellness Practice Fields. The event is one of a series of football safety clinics for moms. Moms should wear athletic attire.

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM EDT MIA vs JAX Gameday Central

Get LIVE updates from the Jaguars' home matchup with the Mimi Dolphins, starting two hours before kickoff at EverBank Field.

• Sun., Oct. 26, 2014 1:00 PM EDT Detriot Lions at Atlanta Falcons The Lions take on the Falcons at Wembley Stadium
  • Sun., Nov. 02, 2014 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM EST JAX vs CIN Gameday Central

Get LIVE updates from the Jaguars' road matchup with the Cincinnati Bengals, starting two hours before kickoff at Paul Brown Stadium.

• Sat., Nov. 08, 2014 12:00 PM EST Union Jax Fan Night Come join us for Union Jax Fan Night
  • Sun., Nov. 09, 2014 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM EST DAL vs JAX Gameday Central

Get LIVE updates from the Jaguars' matchup with the Dallas Cowboys, starting two hours before kickoff at Wembley Stadium.

• Sun., Nov. 09, 2014 1:00 PM EST Dallas Cowboys at Jacksonville Jaguars The Cowboys take on our Jaguars at Wembley Stadium

Beadles, Watson and Gerhart like roles

Posted Mar 12, 2014

Jaguars three unrestricted free agent signings Wednesday – running back Toby Gerhart, guard Zane Beadles and linebacker Dekoda Watson – say they’re comfortable with new roles.

JACKSONVILLE – Zane Beadles couldn’t more comfortable with his projected role.

Beadles, an offensive guard who signed with the Jaguars as an unrestricted free agent Wednesday after spending four seasons with Denver, was signed to play left guard next to a young, talented left tackle – and to provide leadership on what’s expected to be a young line.

And as the fifth-year veteran sees it, that’s perfect.

“I hope I can come in and use some of my knowledge,” Beadles said, who spoke Wednesday afternoon at an introductory press conference at EverBank Field that also featured newly signed running back Tony Gerhart and newly signed linebacker Dekoda Watson.

ZANE BEADLES PHOTOS

“I am only entering my fifth year. In some people’s eyes, that’s not hugely experienced but I’ve played a lot of football, a lot of snaps and been through a lot of situations. I hope I can bring that to the younger guys and help them understand certain situations and let them know what I’ve been through.”

Jaguars Head Coach Gus Bradley called Beadles “one of the top guys we were looking at” in free agency, and said he liked that Beadles will play next to second-year left tackle Luke Joeckel, the No. 2 overall selection in the 2013 NFL Draft.

“It will be a good combination,” Bradley said. “To have that type of player there is good for us.”

Beadles said he met several members of the offensive line Wednesday.

“I know they are excited about me coming in and trying to do that with some of the younger guys and I’m excited to work with them,” Beadles said. “I’ve heard great things about some of the personalities in the room and the good players that are young and inexperienced.”

Each player signed Wednesday was acquired to fill a clearly defined role, with Gerhart expected to start at running back and Watson likely to play the strong-side linebacker and also have a role as a pass-rusher.

For Gerhart, the chance is welcome. An All-America selection and Heisman Trophy runner-up at Stanford in 2009, the Minnesota Vikings made him a second-round selection in the 2010 NFL Draft and he spent the last four seasons backing up All-Pro running back Adrian Peterson.

“I feel like I’ve shown some flashes in the playing time I’ve had, but I haven’t gotten to be a consistent, every-day starter,” he said. “I’m excited about that opportunity to show what I can do and help this team be the best it can. I’ve got experience. I’ve been in a lot of situations. Now, it’s a chance for me to shine. I don’t have that mileage on me.

“I’m a semi-‘proven’ veteran without the mileage and it’s a chance for me to go out, gain experience and show what I can do.”

Gerhart, who rushed for 283 yards and two touchdowns on 36 carries this past season, has rushed for 1,305 yards and five touchdowns on 276 career carries, a 4.7-yard per carry average. His most extensive playing time came in 2011, when he started five games in place of an injured Peterson. He rushed for 531 yards and a touchdown on 109 carries that season.

“He seems like a guy the more he handles the ball, the stronger he gets and he’ll pop one,” Bradley said, adding that Gerhart should bring leadership to the running back group. “He’s going to have a great opportunity so it’ll be interesting to see if he captures it.”

Watkins, who played his first four seasons with Tampa Bay, is expected to play strong-side linebacker on early downs, but Bradley said his biggest value may be his ability to play Leo pass rusher in some passing situations.

“He’s a good rusher,” Bradley said, adding that he also can play in the team’s pass-oriented “lightning” package. “He’s good backup Leo. We have our two Leos, but now if something should happen with our Leo spot, he can go and rush. He has those capabilities.

“We said, ‘Let’s make sure he can rush,’ – and oh, he can also drop.”

Watson, a seventh-round selection by the Buccaneers in the 2010 NFL Draft, has three sacks and four passes defensed in his career. He had two sacks last season.

“I love to rush,” said Watson, who said he also had interest from Buffalo, Cleveland, New England and San Francisco. “I’m fast and explosive. I’m able to play that defensive end position if needed and just being able to also play to the Sam linebacker and playing special teams as well. What I am starting to realize and what I did realize is the more you can do the more people can exploit your talents and be able to use you and help them win.”

Watson said he had more opportunity to rush the passer this past season in Tampa Bay than his first four seasons.

“I’ve been barking up that tree for a long time, so finally it came around,” he said.