JACKSONVILLE – This is a mock. This is only a mock.
That means this jaguars.com 2017 mock draft version 1.0 is everything the title suggests – a mock, a projection … nothing official, way too early … etc., etc., etc. …
So, the selection at No. 4 overall? That selection of Louisiana State running back Leonard Fournette to the Jaguars? That must be read with the following caveat:
We’re more than five weeks out from the 2017 NFL Draft. There’s a lot of speculation remaining.
How much will change between now and the draft? Who knows? But the thought here is there’s going to be much debate between now and April 27 about the strengths at the top of the draft. Indeed, this feels like a year when much will fluctuate in the final month leading to the draft.
Will Solomon Thomas continue his pre-draft surge?
Will Jonathan Allen’s shoulders cause a long, long fall?
Will a quarterback get pushed into the Top 5? Two quarterbacks?
Will the Jaguars find a need-talent fit?
All are legitimate questions, and there’s going to be a ton of debate about whether the Jaguars should select defensive line, or maybe even quarterback, or running back with the fourth overall selection.
So, why Fournette in this mock?
Because it feels like the Jaguars need an impact offensive player, and it doesn’t feel like that will be wide receiver at No. 4. And because No. 4 just feels too early to select Alabama tight end O.J. Howard. And because No. 4 also feels too early for any of the quarterbacks in this year’s draft.
Pass rusher would be a real possibility. And if an elite pass-rusher were there at No. 4, then that certainly would feel like the choice. But Thomas, a defensive end from Stanford, is projected as being gone before No. 4 in this draft – and he’s not a prototypical edge rusher. Allen also isn’t a prototypical edge player – and questions over arthritis in his shoulders could move him out of the Top 5.
So, for now, the projection is Fournette because the Jaguars want to improve the running game, which in turn could help quarterback
Here’s the jaguars.com 2017 mock draft v 1.0:
1. Cleveland | Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
2. San Francisco | Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford
3. Chicago | Jamal Adams, S, Louisiana State
4. Jacksonville | Leonard Fournette, RB, Louisiana State
5. Tennessee (via Rams) | Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State
6. New York Jets | Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State
7. Los Angeles Chargers | Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
8. Carolina | Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan
9. Cincinnati | Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama
10. Buffalo | Mike Williams, WR, Clemson
11. New Orleans | Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State
12. Cleveland (via Eagles) | Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina
13. Arizona | Reuben Foster, LB, Alabama
14.Philadelphia (via Vikings) | Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama
15. Indianapolis | Garett Bolles, OT, Utah
16. Baltimore | Charles Harris, DE, Missouri
17. Washington | Forrest Lamp, OG, Western Kentucky
18. Tennessee | John Ross, WR, Washington
19. Tampa Bay | Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State
20. Denver | Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama
21. Detroit | Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin
22. Miami | O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama
23. New York Giants | Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State
24. Oakland | Tre’Davious White, CB, Louisiana
25. Houston | Patrick Mahomes, QB, Texas Tech
26. Seattle | Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama
27. Kansas City | Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford
28. Dallas | David Njoku, TE, Miami
29. Green Bay | Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan
30. Pittsburgh | Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan
31. Atlanta | Kevin King, CB, Washington
32. New Orleans (via Patriots) | Haasan Reddick, DE, Temple