By: Gaby Moran
JACKSONVILLE –The Jaguars will face quarterback Jared Goff, running back Todd Gurley and the Los Angeles Rams' top-five offense this Sunday at 4:05 p.m. ET at EverBank Field. Let's dive into five key stats and consider how they might impact this Week 6 matchup:
- No End Zone: In Week 5, the Jaguars defense held the Steelers without a touchdown, despite three possessions in the red zone. This marked the first time the Jaguars held an opponent without an offensive touchdown since October 19, 2014 against Cleveland (24-6). The Rams rank second in the league in points per game, so the Jaguars will look to put pressure on Rams QB Jared Goff to keep them out of the end zone.
- Smith for AFC Defensive Player of the Week: Last Sunday, linebacker Telvin Smith recorded a game-high 10 tackles and intercepted Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and ran it back 28 yards for a touchdown, earning Smith AFC Defensive Player of the Week honors. This marks Smith's third time winning the weekly award, the most by a defender in Jaguars history. Smith is considered a top-five linebacker in the league and will be a key factor in stopping Todd Gurley, the Rams' leading receiver and running back.
- Team Takeaway: The Jaguars defense registered five turnovers against the Steelers last Sunday, scoring 27 of their 30 points off the takeaways. For the season, the Jaguars have scored 74 points off turnovers, the most in the league in 2017. Jacksonville needs to continue this trend not only to score points, but to slow down the Rams who boast one of the top-five passing games in the NFL.
- #Sacksonville: Last Sunday, Jacksonville sacked Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger twice, totaling 20 sacks on the season, the most in the NFL in 2017. This Sunday, the Jaguars need at least three sacks on Goff to have the most through six games in team history. Goff has been sacked six times this season, with the most being two in a game. Key an eye on defensive end Calais Campbell who already has 6.0 sacks this season. No doubt he'll have his eye on Goff.
- Ram-Bo's Territory: According to Pro Football Focus, cornerback Jalen Ramsey has allowed 12 receptions for 142 yards, zero touchdowns and two interceptions for a 26.5 opponent passer rating. On the opposite side of the field, teammate A.J. Bouye has allowed 12 receptions for 189 yards, zero touchdowns and two interceptions for a 31.9 opponent passer rating. The duo rank first and fourth respectively for lowest opponent passer ratings for players with at least 54 snaps this season. Look for them to test the second-year Rams quarterback and attempt to limit WRs Cooper Kupp, Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods.
*Every Friday during the 2017 NFL regular season, Jaguars public relations assistant Gaby Moran will bring five key stats about the Jaguars heading into the game on Sunday. You can follow her on Twitter @gabsmoran. *