JACKSONVILLE –The Jaguars host AFC South rival, the Houston Texans, at EverBank Field this Sunday at 1 p.m. Here are five key stats on cornerback A.J. Bouye and how he impacts this Week 15 matchup:
- Bad and Bouye: Last Sunday, Bouye intercepted two passes from Seahawks QB Russell Wilson, marking his first career game with multiple interceptions. Bouye has totaled six interceptions this season, which is tied for the most interceptions in the NFL and tied for the second-most in a season in franchise history. Bouye is two interceptions short of the team's single-season franchise record of eight interceptions, set by Rashean Mathis in 2006. Texans QB T.J. Yates will start for the first time this season, and I am sure Bouye and the Jaguars secondary has been on his mind this week.
- All Day, Every Day: Bouye also posted three passes defensed last week against Seattle and has totaled 16 passes defensed this season. His 16 passes defensed are tied for fourth-most in the NFL and fifth-most in a season in franchise history. Teammate Jalen Ramsey has 17 passes defensed this season and the pair have combined for 33 passes defensed, the most among DB tandems in the NFL. Yates must also be precise in his targets when throwing to wide receivers DeAndre Hopkins and Will Fuller V.
- No Fly Zone: According to Pro Football Focus, Bouye has allowed 32 receptions for 385 yards and zero touchdowns and six interceptions for a 26.0 passer rating this season. If a quarterback spikes the ball every play in a game, he would have a 39.6 passer rating. Bouye's 26.0 is the lowest passer rating in the league among cornerbacks and, in facing his former teammates, the opposing offense will surely be aware of Bouye's presence throughout the game.
- INT in OT: In Week 10, the Jaguars kicked a 34-yard field goal with three seconds left in regulation to tie the Los Angeles Chargers and send the game into overtime. On their first possession in the extra session, the Chargers ran two plays before quarterback Philip Rivers was intercepted by Bouye, who returned it 51 yards to the Los Angeles 2-yard line. The Jaguars won the game three plays later on a 30-yard field goal from K Josh Lambo. Bouye's interception was just the fourth interception in overtime in franchise history. Bouye maintains his focus and intensity throughout the game's entirety, and has shown the ability to make big plays in key moments.
- The Undrafted: Bouye originally signed as an undrafted free agent with the Texans on May 10, 2013. Since 2013, he ranks in the top five among undrafted cornerbacks in tackles. Bouye currently ranks third with 164 tackles in 49 games, trailing Denver's Chris Harris Jr. and Tampa Bay's Brent Grimes. Both Harris and Grimes are Pro Bowlers, and Bouye looks primed to join his fellow undrafted CBs in the NFL's all-star game for the first time this season.
Every Friday during the 2017 NFL regular season, Jaguars public relations assistant Gaby Moran will bring five key stats about the Jaguars heading into the game on Sunday. You can follow her on Twitter @gabsmoran.