JACKSONVILLE – In the first of a series examining the Jaguars 2022 season, senior writer John Oehser examines the best moments for Jaguars quarterbacks in their AFC South-title-winning season …
- A sign of things to come. The best five Jaguars 2022 quarterback moments were unsurprisingly five Trevor Lawrence moments, and we'll start with an early-season moment in which he began showing significant improvement from a difficult rookie season. Lawrence, the No. 1 overall selection in the 2021 NFL Draft, then turned in one of the best games of his career to date in a 38-10 Week 3 road victory over the Los Angeles Chargers – a team that went on to make the postseason. Lawrence had a second consecutive game with a passer rating of more than 100 against Los Angeles, completing 28 of 39 passes for 262 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions. Lawrence completed touchdown passes to three different wide receivers – a 14-yarder in the second quarter to Zay Jones, a four-yarder in the third quarter to Christian Kirk and an 11-yarder in the fourth quarter to Marvin Jones Jr.
- The two-point conversion. October was difficult for Lawrence, who completed four touchdown passes with five interceptions as the Jaguars lost leads in five consecutive losses. His season – and that of the Jaguars – turned in November, with the Jaguars going 2-1 as Lawrence threw six touchdown passes with no interceptions. He had a passer rating of more than 100 in all three games. The Jaguars and Lawrence capped the month with one of the season's highlights – a 28-27 home victory over the Baltimore Ravens in which Lawrence completed 29 of 37 passes for 321 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions. The Jaguars rallied from deficits of 19-10 and 27-20 in the game, with Lawrence's touchdown pass to Marvin Jones Jr. – and a subsequent two-point conversion to Zay Jones – with :14 remaining giving the Jaguars the winning points. It was one of the most memorable comebacks in franchise history – and a sign of things to come.
- The Stiff Arm. A memorable December for the Jaguars started in less-than-memorable fashion – a 40-14 road loss to the Detroit Lions that marked their worst loss of the season. They then began a six-game winning streak the following week with a 36-22 road victory over the Tennessee Titans, a game that set the tone for a late-season run to the AFC South title. The Jaguars trailed 7-0 and 14-7 early, but Lawrence's 20-yard touchdown pass to Zay Jones gave them their first lead of the game – 20-14 – with :14 remaining in the half. Lawrence completed 30 of 42 passes for 368 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions, and his most memorable play of the game came early in the third quarter. On second-and-goal from the one, Lawrence rolled to his right and stiff-armed his way past Titans linebacker Dylan Cole. He then dove into the end zone for a 27-14 lead midway through the third quarter.
- Hot at home. The Jaguars' 40-34 victory over the Dallas Cowboys a week after their victory at Tennessee is perhaps best remembered for safety Rayshawn Jenkins' 52-yard overtime interception return for a touchdown. But Lawrence, as he did throughout the season, showed significant resiliency and a flair for the dramatic to help the Jaguars force overtime in one of the wilder games of the NFL 2022 season. The Cowboys led 21-7 at halftime and extended the lead to 27-10 after Lawrence was intercepted midway through the third quarter. Lawrence responded with touchdown passes on the next three possessions as the Jaguars took a 31-27 lead, then lost a fumble with 1:34 remaining. But the Jaguars' defense forced a punt and the Jaguars took possession at their 29 with 1:01 remaining. Lawrence, who completed 27 of 42 passes for 318 yards and four touchdowns for the game with an interception, completed four of six passes for 41 yards on the late-game drive with his 19-yard completion to Zay Jones setting up kicker Riley Patterson's overtime-forcing 48-yard field goal as time expired.
- The Response. The resiliency Lawrence and the Jaguars showed against the Cowboys was perhaps the defining characteristic of he and the team in 2022. They showed it again in their biggest, most-dramatic victory of the season – a 31-30 victory over the Chargers in an AFC Wild Card Playoff game at TIAA Bank Field. Lawrence, after throwing two interceptions in the last nine regular-season games, threw four interceptions in the first six Jaguars possessions against the Chargers. The Jaguars trailed 27-0 with 4:28 remaining in the second quarter. But Lawrence threw touchdown passes on the next four Jaguars possessions, with his nine-yard touchdown pass to Kirk and a subsequent two-point dive by Lawrence pulling the Jaguars to within 30-28 with 5:25 remaining. The Jaguars then drove 51 yards in the final 3:09, with Patterson's 36-yard field goal capping the largest come-from-behind victory in franchise history and the third-largest postseason come-from-behind victory in NFL history.
Take a look back at some of the best moments from the Jacksonville Jaguars Quarterbacks for the 2022 Season.