Skip to main content

Jaguars News | Jacksonville Jaguars -

Smith's pass-catching streak ends

The following are notes from the Jaguars' 28-25 loss to the New York Giants:

• Jimmy Smith's consecutive-games pass-receptions streak came to an end when Smith failed to catch a pass against the Giants. He was injured midway through the first quarter when he was hit by safety Shaun Williams as Smith attempted to catch a pass in the middle of the field. He did not return to action until late in the game, when Smith volunteered his services to coach Tom Coughlin. Smith's pass-catching streak stopped at 86 games. It was the first time he failed to catch a pass in a game in which he played since Oct. 22, 1995, when the Jaguars won in Cleveland.

• "You guys are the ones who said I couldn't play any more," Keenan McCardell said to reporters following the loss in New York. McCardell had just finished the season with an 11-catch, 131-yard performance that raised his totals to a team-leading 94 catches for 1,207 yards receiving. Those are each career highs for McCardell.

• Fred Taylor rushed for 52 yards on just 13 carries, a 4.0 yards-per-carry average. He left the game early in the third quarter with a hip-pointer bruise. Taylor reached a contract incentive with his 44-yard touchdown run, his 12th rushing touchdown of the season, and finished the season with a career-high 1,399 yards rushing.

• Taylor's first three carries of the game netted a minus-10 yards, as the Giants defense swarmed to stop Taylor, who had been critical of the Giants defense earlier in the week. "I think they considered me a marked man. I expect that. I never once backed down and I never will, and they knew that," Taylor said.

• What about the renowned Giants Stadium wind? Well, it was so brisk that with 23 seconds to play in the first quarter and the Jaguars facing the wind, the Giants called a time out following a first-down Jaguars run, hoping the Giants could force the Jaguars to punt into the wind. The Jaguars ran the ball on second down and, when the Giants did not call a second time out, the first-quarter clock expired.

• Rookie kick-returner Shyrone Stith was deactivated for the game and it was thought Stith was being punished by coach Tom Coughlin for having fumbled a kickoff that resulted in the Bengals' winning field goal the previous week. However, Stith was held out of the Giants game due to a sore knee.

This article has been reproduced in a new format and may be missing content or contain faulty links. Please use the Contact Us link in our site footer to report an issue.

Related Content