It has been a busy week for Jaguars head team physician Dr. Stephen Lucie and the physicians of the Jacksonville Orthopaedic Institute. Five Jaguars had offseason surgery to correct nagging problems occuring in the 1997 season.
- Guard Jeff Novack underwent surgery of his right shoulder to correct a problem with his AC joint.
- Defensive end Clyde Simmons underwent arthroscopic surgery of his right knee to correct a patella problem.
- Defensive tackle Seth Payne, who sustained a dislocation of his left shoulder on December 14 at Buffalo, had an arthroscopic procedure done on his left shoulder.
- Cornerback Deon Figures, who was bothered by a nagging ankle injury all season, had reconstructive surgery on his right ankle.
- Center Dave Widell had an elbow arthroscopy to remove some loose bodies and to clean up the joint.
All five players did well and are expected to be ready for the 1998 season.
The Jacksonville Jaguars have re-signed defensive end Jabbar Threats, who saw action in two games as a rookie in 1997. Threats, 22, was signed by the Jaguars last July 15, 1997 after not being selected in the NFL's June supplemental draft. He led the team with 3.5 sacks in the preseason.