Who:Jacksonville Jaguars Foundation, GATE Foundation and Pepsi Beverages Company
What:Presentation of new children's books to local emergency and domestic violence shelter representatives
* When: *Friday, April 8, 2011, 11:00 a.m.
*Where: *West Club Lobby – EverBank Field: One EverBank Field Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32202
Why:As part of "Books for Good," a joint project of the Jaguars Foundation, The GATE Foundation and Pepsi Beverages Company to promote literacy in north Florida.
For more information, contact:
Peter Racine, Executive Director, Jaguars Foundation: 904.633.6216
Jennifer Stenson, Sr. Marketing Manager, Pepsi Beverages Company: 904.443.0859
Kathy Brady, Executive Director, The GATE Foundation: 904.732.2339
- In Dec. 2010, The Jacksonville Jaguars Foundation, The GATE Foundation, and Pepsi Beverages Company teamed up to promote family literacy for the Greater Jacksonville Community.
- As a result of the promotion, more than 1,600 cinch bags filled with three children's books, provided by Scholastic Books' Literacy Partnership Initiative, will be presented to representatives of Jacksonville area emergency and domestic violence shelters, including the I.M. Sulzbacher Center for the Homeless, Hubbard House, The Betty Griffin House, Quigley House, and Davis Center.
- Each facility will be given a supply of books for children in the shelters this year. Older children will receive a cinch book bag for their books, and the mothers of toddlers and infants will receive a canvas bag for their books as well.
- This event is an articulation of the shared values of the Jaguars Foundation, The GATE Foundation and PepsiCo, by assisting those in need in the Jacksonville community. Delores Barr Weaver, Jaguars co-owner and Chair/CEO of the Jaguars Foundation, noted "These books, and the cool 'Reading Rocks' bags will be a special possession for these children, who often count few possessions as their own while in shelters. I hope that in some small way it helps the children and young people, as well as their parents know that they are loved; that there is hope for a better future and that others believe in them." It is a demonstration of PepsiCo's dedication to "Performance with Purpose" – a commitment to deliver sustainable growth by investing in a healthier future for people and our planet. This includes investing in, and giving back to the communities in which it operates.
About Jacksonville Foundation
Believing that youth represent the community's future, the Jacksonville Jaguars Foundation is committed to serving the greater Jacksonville area through strategic financial, networking and volunteer support benefiting economically and socially disadvantaged youth and families. By building upon our city's strengths, we seek to realize the positive potential of our young people in need. In doing so, we aim to serve as a model to other sports franchises.
About Pepsi Beverages Company
Pepsi Beverages Company (PBC) is PepsiCo&39;s beverage manufacturing, sales and distribution operating unit in the United States, Canada and Mexico. PBC handles approximately 75 percent of PepsiCo&39;s North America beverage volume. Its diverse portfolio includes some of the world&39;s most widely recognized beverage brands, including Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Sierra Mist, Aquafina, Gatorade, SoBe, Lipton, and Amp Energy. In many markets, PBC also manufactures and/or distributes non-Pepsi brands, including Dr Pepper, Crush, ROCKSTAR, and Muscle Milk. The operating unit is headquartered in Westchester County, New York and employs approximately 70,000 people. Learn more about PBC at www.pepsico.com/pbc.
About GATE Foundation
The GATE Foundation, the philanthropic entity of Gate Petroleum Company, supports non-profit organizations that nurture and protect the well-being of family and community. Gate Petroleum Company is a privately held diversified corporation headquartered in Jacksonville, Florida, the 11th largest in Florida in 2010. For more information on The GATE Foundation, go to www.gatepetro.com.