JACKSONVILLE – In the third of a series examining the 2022 Jaguars season, senior writer John Oehser examines the best moments for Jaguars wide receivers and tight ends in their AFC South-title-winning season …
1. Three for three. It was the nature of the Jaguars' offense in 2022 that most of the pass-catchers' big moments came in games in which multiple pass-catchers had big plays; among quarterback Trevor Lawrence's strengths this past season was not depending on one or two receivers. An early example of this came in the Jaguars' biggest early-season victory – 38-10 on the road over the Los Angeles Chargers in Week 3, a game in which they pulled away from a tight game with a strong second half. Three different Jaguars wide receivers caught touchdown passes in the game, with Zay Jones' 14-yard touchdown reception giving the Jaguars a 13-0 second-quarter lead. Wide receiver Christian Kirk caught a four-yard touchdown pass to give the Jaguars a 31-10 late in the third quarter. Wide receiver Marvin Jones Jr. capped the scoring with an 11-yard touchdown reception in the fourth quarter.
2. Toe tap – and two. The Jaguars' top three receivers and tight end Evan Engram combined to catch 285 passes for 3,226 yards and 20 touchdowns in 2022, but the group perhaps produced no bigger – and more clutch – back-to-back plays than in a 28-27 victory over the Baltimore Ravens in Week 12. The Jaguars rallied from a 19-10 fourth-quarter deficit to take a 20-19 lead but trailed 27-20 after the Ravens scored with 2:02 remaining. The Jaguars then drove 75 yards on 10 plays, pulling to within 27-26 on Marvin Jones' 10-yard touchdown reception with :14 remainings. Jones on the reception made one of the Jaguars' most remarkable plays of the season, leaping for the reception and getting a shin down just in bounds as he landed. Zay Jones' two-point conversion reception on a hotly-thrown pass from Lawrence gave the Jaguars their second victory in three games.
3. All day long. Engram emerged in his first season with the Jaguars as one of the NFL's more productive receiving tight ends – a status he solidified during the team's late-season run to the postseason. Engram caught 73 passes for 766 yards and four touchdowns in 2022, including 31 receptions for 370 yards and two touchdowns in the team's regular-season-ending five-game winning streak. Engram's best game came in the Jaguars' 36-22 road victory over the Tennessee Titans, a game that snapped the Jaguars' eight-game losing streak in Nashville. Engram, after catching 10 passes for 56 yards and a touchdown in the previous four games, caught 11 passes for 162 yards and two touchdowns as the Jaguars twice rallied from seven-point first-half deficits. This game also featured one of the Jaguars' best catches of the season – a 20-yard touchdown reception that Zay Jones caught just in bounds after the ball was tipped by Titans cornerback Roger McCreary with Jones bobbling it before making the reception.
4. All the way to Zay. Kirk led the Jaguars in 2022 with 84 receptions for 1,108 yards and eight touchdowns, but he was just one of multiple offseason free-agent signees critical to the Jaguars' passing game. Kirk signed with the Jaguars in the 2022 offseason as an unrestricted free agent from the Arizona Cardinals. Engram signed as a UFA from the New York Giants. Zay Jones, who signed as an UFA from the Las Vegas Raiders, was just as critical with 82 receptions for 823 yards and five touchdowns. His most productive game came in the Jaguars' come-from-behind victory over the Dallas Cowboys in Week 15. He caught six passes for 109 yards and three touchdowns in that game, including a 59-yarder that cut a 17-point Cowboys lead to 27-17 late in the third quarter of what became a 40-34 Jaguars overtime victory.
5. Four for four. A season-long trend of multiple pass-catchers contributing in a big way continued in their biggest victory of the season – a 31-30 home victory over the Los Angeles Chargers in an AFC Wild Card Playoff game. The Jaguars rallied from a 27-0 deficit in that game, doing so as Lawrence completed touchdown passes on four consecutive possessions. A nine-yard touchdown by Engram cut the lead to 27-7 late in the second quarter. A six-yard touchdown reception by Marvin Jones cut it to 27-14 with five minutes remaining in the third quarter. A 39-yard touchdown reception by Zay Jones cut it to 30-20 with :44 remaining in the quarter. Kirk's nine-yard touchdown reception with 5:25 remaining in the game moved the Jaguars to within four, with Lawrence's two-point conversion cutting it to 30-28 – and eventually enabling the Jaguars to win on kicker Riley Patterson's 36-yard field goal as time expired.
Take a look back at some of the best moments from the Jacksonville Jaguars Wide Receivers in the 2022 Season.
What a time! 🔥 Take a look back at some of the best moments from the Jacksonville Jaguars Tight Ends for the 2022 Season.