Nine of the 11 draft choices of the Jacksonville Jaguars have verbally agreed to terms with the team. Terms and length of the deals are not disclosed. The nine players are:
- Cornerback Cordell Taylor (second round) started 41 of 44 games at Hampton University and had nine interceptions
- Quarterback Jonathan Quinn (third round) is the highest-selected quarterback by the Jaguars and set numerous school records at Middle Tennessee State
- Running back Tavian Banks (fourth round) set the University of Iowa record with 36 career touch downs and ranks second on the all-time rushing list
- Defensive tackle Harry Deligianis (fourth round) recorded 17 sacks and 18 tackles for loss as a senior at Youngstown State
- Offensive lineman John Wade (fifth round) helped Marshall rank seventh in the nation in total offense in 1997, the Thundering Herd's first year in NCAA Division I-A
- Defensive end Lamanzer Williams (sixth round) holds the University of Minnesota school-record for career sacks with 23.5, including 18.5 in his senior year
- Fullback Kevin McLeod (sixth round) from Auburn saw action primarily as a blocking back, playing both tight end and fullback
- Wide receiver Alvis Whitted (seventh round) ranks second all-time with 1,929 yards on kickoff returns at North Carolina State, where he also excelled on the track
- Linebacker Brandon Tolbert (seventh round) from the University of Georgia is a solid outside line-backer and special teams player.
The only two players who have not agreed to terms with the team are the first-round draft choices, running back Fred Taylor (ninth overall) and safety Donovin Darius (25th overall).
"Our philosophy is to sign players early and we are doing this once again," said Michael Huyghue, the Jaguars' senior vice president of football operations. "Our discussions with the other two draft choices have gone well and we would expect to reach agreement in due time."
The Jaguars' rookie orientation program begins June 1. "Once the players are signed, they will be able to focus entirely on football," added Huyghue. "That way they can participate in the pre-camp and concentrate on their jobs rather than contract negotiations."
Jaguars Re-Sign Tight End James O'Shaughnessy
The Jacksonville Jaguars have re-signed seventh-year TE James O'Shaughnessy
Jaguars Re-sign Defensive Lineman Dawuane Smoot
The Jacksonville Jaguars have re-signed fourth-year DL Dawuane Smoot
Jaguars Re-Sign Cornerback Sidney Jones
Jaguars re-sign veteran CB Sidney Jones, who was scheduled to become a free agent on Wednesday; he became the third Jaguars potential free agent in the last week to re-sign with the team
Jaguars Launch Season Ticket Campaign Under New Head Coach Urban Meyer
Team optimistic for a return to full capacity at TIAA Bank Field for the 2021 season
Jacksonville Jaguars Name Dan Edwards to New SVP Position
Edwards to Serve as SVP of Jacksonville Tradition and Alumni; Amy Palcic Hired as Vice President of Football Communications
Jaguars, Colts and Titans Make Donation in Support of Teams and Houston Community Impacted by Winter Storms
NFL Foundation Contributes Additional $100,000 Donation to the Houston/Harris County 2021 Winter Storm Relief Fund
Jaguars Hire Karim Kassam as SVP of Football Operations Strategy
The Jaguars announced today that Karim Kassam has been hired as the team's senior vice president of football operations strategy. Kassam will oversee the team's football technology and analytics departments in addition to salary cap administration in consultation with Head Coach Urban Meyer and General Manager Trent Baalke.
Jaguars Add Davis, MacCracken, Hughes to Personnel Staff
The Jacksonville Jaguars announced today that Senior Personnel Executive Michael Davis, Director of Roster Management Trip MacCracken and Player Personnel Coordinator Drew Hughes have joined the team's personnel staff. The three will assist General Manager Trent Baalke.
Jaguars Add Gamble, Stamper to Personnel Staff
The Jacksonville Jaguars announced today that Senior Personnel Executive Tom Gamble and Director of Player Assessment Ryan Stamper have joined the team's personnel staff.
Official: Bevell, offensive staff named
Longtime NFL offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell named Jaguars offensive coordinator; Brian Schottenheimer named passing-game coordinator and eight other offensive assistants also named