Jaguars conclude 2-14 season
The Jaguars finished the 2012 season with a 2-14 overall record, 1-7 on the road, 2-10 against AFC opponents and 2-4 in the AFC South.
Career-best receiving day for Lewis
Tight end Marcedes Lewis produced a career-high 103 yards on seven receptions (14.7 avg.) with catches of 25 and 24 yards. Lewis' previous career-high was 77 yards on Dec. 11, 2011 vs. Tampa Bay.
The 2006 first-round pick finished the season with 52 receptions for 540 yards and four touchdowns. The receiving totals were the second-most of his career (58-700, 10 TDs, 2010).
Blackmon finishes with rookie records
Justin Blackmon concluded his rookie season with six catches for 79 yards including a 30-yard touchdown reception in the second quarter. Blackmon set franchise rookie records for receptions (64), receiving yards (865) and average per reception (13.5). Blackmon's five touchdowns tied Matt Jones (2005) for the most by a rookie in team history.
Additional notes on Blackmon:
- In eight road games, he recorded 29 receptions for 522 yards (18.0 avg.) and two touchdowns.
- In six division games, he totaled 22 catches for 409 yards and three scores.
- Became the 13th different rookie in team history to start 15 games and only the second wide receiver (Reggie Williams).
Record-breaking season for Anger
Bryan Anger concluded his rookie season today with his name on several NFL and club records. Anger set NFL rookie records for gross average (47.8) and net average (40.8). He set single-season franchise records for gross average, net average and most punts (91).
NFL ALL-TIME HIGHEST PUNTING GROSS AVERAGE BY A ROOKIE
*RK PLAYER, TEAM YEAR AVG. *
1. Bryan Anger, Jacksonville 2012 47.8
2. Brett Kern, Denver 2008 46.7
3. Frank Sinkwich, Detroit 1943 45.9
4. Shane Lechler, Oakland 2000 45.9* *
NFL ALL-TIME HIGHEST PUNTING NET AVERAGE BY A ROOKIE
*RK PLAYER, TEAM YEAR. AVG. *
*1. Bryan Anger, Jacksonville 2012 40.8 *
2. Matt Bosher, Atlanta 2011 38.9
3. T.J. Conley, New York Jets 2011 38.8
4. Zoltan Mesko, New England 2010 38.4
JAGUARS SINGLE-SEASON HIGHEST PUNTING GROSS AVERAGE
*RK PLAYER, YEAR AVG. PUNTS *
1. Bryan Anger, 2012 47.9 86
2. Bryan Barker, 1998 45.0 85
3. Bryan Barker, 1997 44.9 66
4. Chris Hanson, 2002 44.2 81
5. Bryan Barker, 1995 43.8 82
JAGUARS SINGLE-SEASON HIGHEST PUNTING NET AVERAGE
*RK PLAYER, YEAR AVG. PUNTS *
*1. Bryan Anger, 2012 40.8 91 *
2. Adam Podlesh, 2010 39.2 57
3. Bryan Barker, 1997 38.8 66
4. Bryan Barker, 1995 38.6 82
5. Bryan Barker, 1998 38.5 85
JAGUARS SINGLE-SEASON MOST SINGLE-SEASON PUNTS
*RK PLAYER, YEAR PUNTS *
*1. Bryan Anger, 2012 91 *
2. Bryan Barker, 1998 85
3. Chris Hanson, 2004 84
4. Bryan Barker, 1995 82
Chris Hanson, 2001 82
Chris Hanson, 2005 82
JAGUARS SINGLE-SEASON MOST SINGLE-SEASON PUNTS INSIDE 20
*RK PLAYER, YEAR PUNTS *
1. Chris Hanson, 2005 33
2. Bryan Barker, 1999 32
3. Bryan Anger, 2012 31
4. Bryan Barker, 2000 29
5. Chris Hanson, 2004 28
Back-to-back games with opening drive touchdown
The Jaguars moved the ball 81 yards in 10 plays on their opening drive and Chad Henne hooked up with Jordan Shipley for a five-yard touchdown. It marked the first time since 2010 the Jaguars scored a touchdown on an opening drive in back-to-back games. The Jaguars finished the season with two touchdowns, three field goals, eight punts, two interceptions and a fumble lost on 16 opening possessions.
Henne concludes season with 298 passing yards and two touchdowns**
Chad Henne finished his first season with the Jaguars on Sunday, completing 25 of 41 passes for 298 yards with two touchdowns and three interceptions for a 69.0 passer rating. Henne had touchdown passes to Jordan Shipley (5 yards) and Justin Blackmon (30 yards). Two of his interceptions were returned for touchdowns.
- Posted his 10th career multi-touchdown game, his third in 2012.
- Had his sixth career game with three interceptions.
- Finished the season with a 72.2 passer rating, completing 166 of 308 passes for 2,084 yards with 11 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. He started the final six games for the club.
- Eclipsed 9,000 career passing yards (9,198).
- Seven of his 11 touchdowns in 2012 came on the road.
Shipley sets career-high for receptions and scores first touchdown since 2010
Third-year wide receiver Jordan Shipley had a career-high seven receptions for 51 yards and caught a five-yard touchdown pass from Chad Henne on the club's opening drive. It was Shipley's fourth career touchdown reception and first since Dec. 26, 2010 vs. San Diego as a member of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Toston makes presence felt
Second-year running back Keith Toston entered today's game with 19 career rushes for 54 yards in 20 career games. Toston, who made his first career start today, finished with 74 yards on 17 carries (4.4 avg.) and three catches for 41 yards (13.7 avg.) with a long 21. Prior to today's game, he had not rushed the ball in a regular season game since Dec. 22, 2010 at New Orleans as a member of the St. Louis Rams.
Seven players started all 16 games for the Jaguars in 2012:
Defensively (5):LB Russell Allen, DT Tyson Alualu, S Dawan Landry, DE Jeremy Mincey, LB Paul Posluszny
Offensively (2): C Brad Meester, LT Eugene Monroe
19 players played in all 16 games this season for the Jaguars:
Defensively (10):LB Russell Allen, DT Tyson Alualu, S Antwon Blake, LB Kyle Bosworth, DT Terrance Knighton, DE Jeremy Mincey, DT C.J. Mosley, LB Paul Posluszny, S Chris Prosinski, LB Julian Stanford
Offensively (6): WR Justin Blackmon, TE Marcedes Lewis, C Brad Meester, OT Eugene Monroe, TE Zach Potter, OT Guy Whimper
Special teams (3): P Bryan Anger, LS Jeremy Cain, K Josh Scobee
Scobee finishes with 89.3 field goal percentage
Josh Scobee did not attempt a field goal at Tennessee and finished the season with an 89.3 percent field goal percentage (25 of 28), the third-highest percentage in team history and second-highest of his career
JAGUARS SINGLE-SEASON HIGHEST FIELD GOAL PERCENTAGE
RK PLAYER, SEASON PCT. FGs
1. Mike Hollis, 2000 92.3 24 of 26
2. Josh Scobee, 2011 92.0 23 of 25
3. Josh Scobee, 2012 89.3 25 of 28
3. Mike Hollis, 1997 83.1 31 of 36
4. Mike Hollis, 1996 83.3 30 of 36
5. Mike Hollis, 1999 81.6 31 of 38
Meester concludes 13th season with Jaguars
Center Brad Meester holds the franchise records for games played (193) and started (193). Meester, who became the first player in team history to play 12 seasons, finished his 13th season with the Jaguars today. He is the only player to play for all three head coaches in franchise history (Tom Coughlin, Jack Del Rio, Mike Mularkey).
Meester started his 74th consecutive game today which tied for the second-longest streak in team history. Meester owns the franchise record with 92 consecutive starts from 9/3/00 through 12/4/05.
Future looks bright with receiving duo
Justin Blackmon (865) and Cecil Shorts (979) became the first Jaguars receiver duo since 2001 to have 800-plus receiving yards in a season. Shorts was placed on injured reserve last week after suffering a concussion against New England.
You can count on Alualu
2010 first-round pick Tyson Alualu was the only Jaguars defensive player to start all 16 games the last three seasons and joined center Brad Meester as the only players overall. Alualu, Dawan Landry, Jeremy Mincey and Paul Posluszny were the only defensive players to start every game the last two seasons. Alualu finished the season with a team-high 3.5 sacks.
Nwaneri streak snapped at 80 consecutive game
Guard Uche Nwaneri missed today's game after suffering a concussion last Sunday against New England. Nwaneri ended a streak of 80 consecutive games played and 60 straight starts.
Rookie Mike Harris scores on blocked punt
Cornerback Mike Harris blocked a Brett Kern punt in the fourth quarter, recovered it and returned it 19 yards for a touchdown. It marked the first blocked punt by the Jaguars in Dec. 15, 2011 at Atlanta.
- The Jaguars outgained the Titans 280 to 102 in the first half, the third-most yards in team history in the first half (293, 12/10/06 vs. Indianapolis; 284, 1/2/00 vs. Cincinnati).
- Linebacker Paul Posluszny finished his second season with the Jaguars recording a career-high two sacks against the Titans. Posluszny has seven career sacks including two in each of the last three seasons.
- The Titans scored only one offensive touchdown.
- The Jaguars scored 20-plus points in six games in 2012 with five of the six on the road.
- The Jaguars outgained the Titans 375 to 221.
- Titans linebacker Zach Brown had interception returns for 79 and 30 yards, both resulting in touchdowns.
- The Jaguars allowed a single-season record five defensive touchdowns in 2012 including two against the Titans.
- Darius Reynaud scored on back-to-back punt returns of 69 and 81 yards against the Jaguars, the first opposing player in team history to score twice on punt returns. It marked the first punt return for a touchdown by a Jaguars opponent since Roscoe Parrish (Buffalo) went 82 yards for a score on Nov. 26, 2006.
- Linebacker Russell Allen started a career-high 16 games and played in all 16 games for the fourth straight season.
- Tackle Eugene Monroe started all 16 games for the first time in his career.