JACKSONVILLE – Senior writer John Oehser takes a week-by-week look at the Jaguars' 2023 schedule, which was announced Wednesday night by the NFL
Week 1 | September 10
Indianapolis Colts (4-12-1, 2022 third in AFC South) at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Ind., 1 p.m., FOX
- Breakdown: The first of the Jaguars' six AFC South games, and the third time the Jaguars have opened the regular season against the Colts. The Jaguars lost to the Colts, 28-25, in Jacksonville to open the 2002 season – the first game in AFC South history. The Jaguars beat the Colts, 27-20, in Jacksonville to open the 2020 season before losing their final 15 regular season games. The Colts and Jaguars never have opened the regular season in Indianapolis. The Jaguars are 5-17 all-time against the Colts in Indianapolis, with the Colts winning the last five meetings there – including a 34-27 Jaguars loss in October of 2022. This game will mark the head coaching debut of new Colts Head Coach Shane Steichen and could feature Colts quarterback Anthony Richardson – the No. 4 overall selection in the 2023 NFL Draft.
Week 2 | September 17
Kansas City Chiefs (14-3, 2022 first in AFC West) at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, 1 p.m., CBS
- Breakdown: The first of the Jaguars' five games against 2022 division champions, and the Jaguars' 2023 regular-season home opener. This game also will be a rematch of a 2022 AFC Divisional Playoff, a game won by the eventual Super Bowl champion Chiefs, 27-20, in Kansas City in January. The Jaguars also lost to the Chiefs in the 2022 regular season in Kansas City, 27-17. This Chiefs lead the all-time series 9-6, with the Chiefs having won seven consecutive meetings dating to a 24-21 Jaguars victory in November 2009. The Jaguars last beat the defending Super Bowl champions in a 9-0 Week 2 victory over the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2006.
Week 3 | September 24
Houston Texans (3-13-1, 2022 fourth in AFC South) at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, 1 p.m., FOX
- Breakdown: The second of the Jaguars' six AFC South games, and the second of two consecutive home games before back-to-back games in London. This will be the Jaguars' first game against the Texans with DeMeco Ryans as head coach and Houston by Week 3 could be starting quarterback C.J. Stroud – the No. 2 overall selection in the 2023 NFL Draft. The Jaguars snapped the Texans' nine-game series winning streak with a 31-3 victory in Houston on January 1, but the Texans have won the teams' last five meetings in Jacksonville dating to the Jaguars' season sweep over Houston in 2017.
Week 4 | October 1
Atlanta Falcons (7-10, 2022 second in NFC South) at Wembley Stadium in London, 9:30 a.m., ESPN+
- Breakdown: The first of the Jaguars' two back-to-back games in London in 2023 – and this is a Jaguars home game. It will be their 10th appearance in London, their ninth in historic Wembley Stadium. This also will be the first of four Jaguars games in 2023 against the NFC South, and their second meeting with the Falcons in the last two seasons. The Falcons have finished under .500 the last five seasons, including 7-10 records the last two seasons under Head Coach Arthur Smith. The Falcons lead the all-time series 5-3 and have won the last four meetings – including a 21-14 victory in Jacksonville in November 2021. This game will be nationally televised on ESPN+.
Week 5 | October 8
Buffalo Bills (13-3, 2022 first in AFC East) at Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London, 9:30 a.m., NFLN
- Breakdown: The second of the Jaguars' two back-to-back games in London in 2023 – and the second of their five games against 2022 division champions. The Bills along with the Chiefs and Cincinnati Bengals have been the AFC's power teams in recent seasons, making this the Jaguars' second game in less than a month to test themselves against Super Bowl contenders. The all-time series is tied 9-9, with the Jaguars winning the last meeting, 9-6, in November 2021. This game will be nationally televised on NFL Network.
Week 6 | October 15
Indianapolis Colts (4-12-1, 2022 third in AFC South) at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, 1 p.m., CBS
- Breakdown: The second of the Jaguars' two 2023 meetings with the Colts and their third AFC South game in the first six weeks of the season. This also marks the Jaguars' fourth home game in a five-week stretch, with the previous week's Bills neutral-site game at Tottenham the lone "road" game during that span. The Jaguars have won the last eight meetings with the Colts in Jacksonville, including a 24-0 victory in September 2023.
Week 7 | October 19
New Orleans Saints (7-10, 2022 second in NFC South) at Caesars Superdome in New Orleans, La., 8:15 p.m., Prime Video
- Breakdown: The Jaguars' third road game of the season, the first inside the United States since Week 1 against the Colts. The Saints, after four consecutive postseason appearances, have missed the postseason the last two seasons – and their 7-10 record in 2022 under first-year head coach Dennis Allen marked their worst record since 2005. The Jaguars never have won in New Orleans in the regular season (0-3), with the Saints leading the all-time series 5-2. The Jaguars' last victory in the series came in 2003, 20-19, in Jacksonville. It will Jaguars' third nationally televised game of the season, with the Atlanta and Buffalo London games being the first two. It also will be the first of three scheduled prime-time games – the only road prime-time game of the season.
Week 8 | October 29
Pittsburgh Steelers (9-8, 2022 third in AFC North) at Acrisure Stadium in Pittsburgh, Pa., 1 p.m., CBS
- Breakdown: The first of four games for the Jaguars against the AFC North in 2023 – and the second of back-to-back road games entering a Week 9 bye. The Jaguars will have had three days extra off entering this game because of the Thursday prime-time game in New Orleans. The Steelers, despite missing the postseason last season for the first time in three seasons, finished 9-8 and remain one of the NFL's most consistent franchises; they haven't had a losing season since 2003. The Jaguars lead the all-time series 14-13, with the Steelers winning the last two meetings. The Jaguars are 7-6 all-time in Pittsburgh.
Week 9 | November 5
Week 10 | November 12
San Francisco 49ers (13-4, 2022 first in NFC West) at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, 1 p.m., FOX
- Breakdown: The Jaguars' third interconference game of 2023 – and the only one not against a team from the NFC South. This is the so-called "17th game," with all teams playing a corresponding-placing team from the opposite conference. This figures to be a tough matchup, with the 49ers qualifying for the NFC Championship Game three of the past four seasons and losing in that round the past two seasons. The 'Niners are also annually one of the NFL's more physical teams and tougher defenses. The 49ers lead the all-time series 4-2, and the Jaguars' last victory in the series came in 2005. They are 2-1 all-time against San Francisco in Jacksonville.
Week 11 | November 19
Tennessee Titans (7-10, 2022 second in AFC South) at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, 1 p.m., CBS
- Breakdown: The Jaguars' fourth AFC South game of the season, and the first against a Titans team they edge for the AFC South title in 2022. The Titans, who won back-to-back AFC South titles in 2020 and 2021, sustained a slew of injuries and lost their last seven games to lose a four-game division lead in 2022. They figure to challenge again for the division in 2023, with their late-season losing streak snapping a streak of six consecutive winning seasons and three consecutive postseason appearances. The Jaguars swept the Titans last season, snapping a five-game losing streak in the series. They won the team's last meeting in Jacksonville, rallying for a 20-16 victory in the 2022 regular-season finale to clinch the 2022 AFC South title.
Week 12 | November 26
Houston Texans (3-13-1, 2022 fourth in AFC South) at NRG Stadium in Houston, Texas, 1 p.m., CBS
- Breakdown: The second of back-to-back AFC South games – and the fifth of sixth division games overall. This is also the Jaguars' last game before what figures to be a difficult stretch to start December, a three-week stretch against three teams from the AFC North: Cincinnati, Cleveland and Baltimore. The Jaguars won the team's most recent meeting in Houston, 31-3, in January.
Week 13 | December 4
Cincinnati Bengals (12-4, 2022 first in AFC North) at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, 8:15 p.m., ESPN
- Breakdown: The beginning of what figures to be a key, high-profile stretch outside the division – and the Jaguars' first appearance on Monday Night Football since 2011, when they beat Baltimore and lost to San Diego on Monday nights. This is the Jaguars' fourth game of the season against a 2022 division champion, and the third game against the AFC's power trio of Kansas City, Buffalo and Cincinnati. It also may mark the second career matchup of the two players selected No. 1 overall in the 2020 and 2021 NFL Drafts – Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow (2020) and Jaguars quarterback Trevor Lawrence (2021). Burrow and the Bengals beat the Jaguars and Lawrence, 24-21, in Week 4 2021, with Cincinnati overcoming a 14-0 halftime deficit. The Jaguars lead the all-time series, 13-11, with the Bengals winning the last two meetings.
Week 14 | December 10
Cleveland Browns (7-10, 2022 fourth in AFC North) at FirstEnergy Stadium in Cleveland, Ohio, 1 p.m., CBS
- Breakdown: The second of three consecutive December games for the Jaguars against AFC North teams, and the first regular-season game for the franchise against the Browns since Cleveland acquired quarterback Deshaun Watson. He went 6-0 as a starter against the Jaguars as the Texans' quarterback from 2018-2020. Cleveland finished 3-3 with Watson at quarterback last season after he returned from suspension. The Browns have missed the playoffs the past two seasons, with their 2020 wild-card appearance their first since 2002. The Jaguars lead the all-time series 12-6 and last won in Cleveland in their 2017 AFC South Championship season, 19-7.
Week 15 | December 17
Baltimore Ravens (10-7, 2022 second in AFC North) at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, 8:20 p.m., ESPN
- Breakdown: The third of three consecutive December games against the AFC North for the Jaguars, and their third prime-time game of the season. This is the first time the Jaguars have been scheduled for a Sunday Night Football Game before the regular season since 2008, when they beat the Pittsburgh Steelers, 26-21, in Jacksonville on Sunday Night. This is also a rematch of the Jaguars' dramatic, 28-27, victory over the Ravens in Jacksonville in November 2022 – a game that helped key the Jaguars' late-season run to the AFC South title. The Ravens will be considered a preseason Super Bowl contender, having re-signed quarterback Lamar Jackson to a long-term contract extension this offseason.
Week 16 | December 24
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8-9, 2022 first in NFC South) at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Fla., 4:05 p.m., CBS
- Breakdown: The Jaguars' third game against a team from the NFC South and their fifth game against a 2022 division champion. The Buccaneers made the playoffs each of the last three seasons with quarterback Tom Brady, who led the franchise to a Super Bowl victory following the 2020 season and who retired following a second consecutive NFC South title in 2022. The Buccaneers seem to be in transition, with no starting quarterback certain entering the organized team activities. The Jaguars lead the series 4-3, with the Buccaneers winning the last two meetings – including a 28-11 victory in Jacksonville in December 2019
Week 17 | December 31
Carolina Panthers (7-10, 2022 second in NFC South) at TIAA Bank Field in Jacksonville, 1 p.m., CBS
- Breakdown: The fourth of four games for the Jaguars against an NFC South opponent, and the Jaguars' last regular-season 2023 home game. The Panthers will enter the season with a new head coach – former Indianapolis Colts Head Coach Frank Reich – and selected quarterback Bryce Young No. 1 overall in the 2023 NFL Draft. The Panthers appear to have a very real chance to contend in 2023. They showed positive signs last season, winning five of their last eight games after a 2-7 start. The Panthers are 4-3 all-time against the Jaguars, with the Jaguars' last victory in the series coming 37-6 at home in 2007. They are 2-1 in Jacksonville all-time against Carolina.
Week 18 | TBD
Tennessee Titans (7-10, 2022 second in AFC South) at Nissan Stadium in Nashville, Tenn., TBD, TBD
- Breakdown: The regular-season finale, and the second consecutive season the Jaguars and Titans have played in Week 18. The Jaguars won the '22 regular-season finale in dramatic fashion, with outside linebacker Josh Allen returning a fumble for the game-winning touchdown in the final three minutes to clinch the AFC South title and eliminate Tennessee from the postseason. Days and times for all Week 18 NFL games will be decided following Week 17 games.