JACKSONVILLE – This is an important week.
Not that all 2023 Training Camp hasn't mattered, but the Jaguars this week will have two joint practices against the Detroit Lions in advance of the teams' preseason game Saturday.
As Pederson sees it, that environment features something extra.
"I think you see a lot [in joint practices]," Pederson said early Monday on Day 14 of ’23 camp, which featured an hour, twenty-minute afternoon practice in shorts and shells at the Miller Electric Center.
The Jaguars and Lions are scheduled to practice Wednesday and Thursday at the Lions' facility in Allen Park, Mich., with Pederson speaking on Monday of the importance of repetitions in those practices.
"Your starters are going to get the bulk of the work this week," he said. "We're still in training camp and evaluating, but the fact that we get to see a different team, a different structure … those are all things that are beneficial to us as a football team."
For the Jaguars' offense, it's a chance to work against a four-three base scheme after working against the Jaguars' three-four based hybrid defense throughout '23 camp. For the Jaguars' defense, Pederson said Detroit's style is similar offensively to that of the Jaguars.
"It's just good to see it a little bit different, a little different perspective," Pederson said. "We know our defense, our defense knows our offense and sometimes it just goes back and forth where not too many people win. Here you get to compete against another team in a controlled environment."
Pederson on Monday said while starters likely will get most of the repetitions Wednesday and Thursday, he has yet to decide playing time for Saturday.
PLAY OF THE DAY
- Monday's practice was comparatively light, with an early focus on special teams, but there were a few highlights in two late team drills. Wide receiver Calvin Ridley had another strong day, turning in the day's highlight when he got wide open behind the defense and caught a long touchdown pass from quarterback Trevor Lawrence in an 11-on-11 drill. Ridley in a later drill caught a long pass from Lawrence down the left sideline, accelerating and catching the fade pass for a long gain.
- Running backs Travis Etienne Jr. and Tank Bigsby each had multiple strong runs in 11-on-11 work. …
- First-year tight end Gerrit Prince had a 20-yard reception down the middle from third-team quarterback Nathan Rourke and also caught a long pass on the left sideline from backup quarterback C.J. Beathard. …
- Reserve cornerbacks Montaric Brown and Chris Claybrooks both had pass breakups in a late-practice 11-on-11 drill. …
- Rourke closed practice with a nice fade pass that wide receiver Kevin Austin caught for a touchdown just before stepping out of bounds. …
- Tight end Josh Pederson caught a pass over the middle from Beathard for 15 yards in a late 11-on-11 drill. …
- Veteran offensive guard Ben Bartch passed his physical and returned to the active roster after spending the first part of camp on the Physically Unable to Perform list while returning from a torn anterior cruciate ligament sustained in Week 5 last season. Defensive lineman Dawuane Smoot (Achilles) remains on the PUP list to start camp. Long snapper Ross Matiscik sustained a right shoulder injury against Dallas and Pederson said he is day-to-day this week; the Jaguars signed veteran long snapper Carson Tinker Monday. The Jaguars placed defensive lineman Henry Mondeaux on injured reserve Monday.