JACKSONVILLE – The schedule changed, and so did the venue.
The intensity stayed high, though – with the Jaguars working for about two hours Monday night in a live-hitting practice on Day 12 of 2022 Training Camp.
It was first night practice of '22 camp, and the first at TIAA Bank Field -- with Head Coach Doug Pederson being asked shortly before practice Monday if he changed the routine and site just to "kind of break things up."
"You hit that one on the head," Pederson said.
The practice, which ran from 6:30 p.m. to a little after 8:30, took place in what began as 86-degree temperatures and dropped pleasantly throughout practice. The session featured seven-on-seven, run, team and live hitting periods.
The night also featured two key players moving closer to returning:
- Running back James Robinson, who sustained an Achilles injury last December, worked in some 7-on-7 drills – but remained out of contact work. Pederson said Robinson will remain out of contract drills this week. "He's doing well," Pederson said. "That's the goal, to progress him in the next few days."
- Rookie linebacker Devin Lloyd, out since the start of training camp with a hamstring issue, also practiced while remaining out of contact work. Pederson didn't rule out Lloyd playing Saturday against the Pittsburgh Steelers in a Preseason Week 2 game at TIAA Bank Field.
"Hopefully here in the next couple of days we'll see more of him," Pederson said.
Coverage of Pederson's availabilities can be seen on jaguars.com and Jaguars media channels.
Pederson on Monday reiterated what he said last week – that he felt the Jaguars' front-line players played well in a 24-13 Preseason Week 1 loss to the Cleveland Browns Friday. He also said he expects the starters and front-line players to play extensively Saturday.
"They'll get another, hopefully a bit longer, in this next game," Pederson said. "Our defensive starters haven't played a ton in the first two games. They have done well. They just haven't played a whole lot. I want to see them play a little more in this game – same with the offense.
"We just want to start seeing the consistency with those two units."
The Jaguars practiced at Episcopal School of Jacksonville Knight Sports Campus on the first 11 days of '22 camp and are scheduled to practice there Wednesday after a scheduled day off Tuesday.
Here's a look at Monday's practice:
PLAY OF THE DAY
- Quarterback Trevor Lawrence turned in a very good practice under the lights at TIAA Bank Field. Lawrence's highlight Monday perhaps was a long completion to veteran wide receiver Marvin Jones Jr., who got behind cornerback Tyson Campbell for a touchdown down the left sideline. Lawrence also had multiple nice completions to Zay Jones, including a touchdown on a perfectly thrown pass into the left corner of the end zone.
- Lawrence and Zay Jones continued to show good timing and chemistry, with Lawrence completing several passes to Jones – including a 20-yarder that Jones turned into a long gain down the right sideline. …
- Lawrence had multiple completions to wide receiver Christian Kirk, who – like Zay Jones – continues to get open consistently. …
- Monday's work was spirited – and a little feisty. A highlight: Cornerback Chris Claybrooks and wide receiver Laquon Treadwell having to be separated after punches thrown early in a late "live" team period. …
- Tight end Evan Engram had a nice reception down the field in a late team period, but also had two dropped passes. Tight end Chris Manhertz also had a dropped, with Campbell dropping a would-be interception late in practice. …
- Safety Andrew Wingard had a diving interception on a deep pass down the middle of the field from reserve quarterback C.J. Beathard. …
- Safety Daniel Thomas delivered one of the hardest hits of the evening on tight end Dan Arnold, who had multiple long receptions Monday night. …
- Claybrooks had an interception off rookie quarterback E.J. Perry early in practice. …
- Kirk (ankle) and wide receiver Laviska Shenault Jr. returned to practice Monday after missing Friday's game with injuries.
- The Jaguars on Monday waived/injured kicker Elliott Fry (groin), leaving Ryan Santoso the lone kicker on the roster. The Jaguars entered camp with Santoso and Andrew Mevis on the roster, waiving Mevis early in camp. "We're still working there," Pederson said. "I think we need to see more, quite honestly. He understands that. Until we make the 53[-player roster], I think everybody's still fighting for spots quite honestly. There are guys competing for roster spots. Until we make that 53 final, these guys need to understand that."
Purchase tickets to the Jaguars Preseason Week 2 matchup against the Pittsburg Steelers today! Buy here.
On the 12th day of Training Camp, HC Doug Pederson shook things up. Not only was it the first-night practice for the Jaguars, but it was held at TIAA Bank Field. The lights were low and the hits were hard. Click through to see the best photos.